Wednesday, February 18, 2004

some feedback from the NPR interview

Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 12:42 PM
To: Morning Edition
Subject: Nick Carbo

I had to laugh!
Although I had the idea some years ago, it's only been a year or so
since I first did a karaoke version of "Secret Asian Man". It was for my
Vietnamese friend, Kenny. Everyone loved it: "He says he's from Hawaii,
but he's really from Viet Nam". I had some other "off the cuff" lyrics
that I don't recall.
I don't have sound on my computer, so I won't be able to hear Mr.
Carbo's version. I'm a 55 year-old southern white male. Funny how two
people could come up the same idea.
Thomas Payne
------------------------
From: Martinez, Dale C, CFSMD
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 9:30 AM
To: Morning Edition
Subject: Secert Asian Man

Nick Carbo should be made aware that "Secret Agent" singer, Johnny Rivers
real name is Juan Rivera. Asians may feel invisible in American, but others
have felt it necessary to hide their identities to obtain acceptance and
success in American Pop culture. Even the Pop culture icon John Wayne
understood this; as his Hispanic wife was never full accepted by Hollywood
society. There are many Secret Agents.

D. Christopher Beaner
Flanders , NJ
------------------------------------
From: William Sommerwerck
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 1:04 PM
To: Morning Edition
Subject: "Secret Asian Man"

When Nick Carbo told us about his John Wayne Back to Bataan fantasy, I couldn't stop laughing...
"He'd promise to let me clean his Tommy gun by the end of the night."
His "Tommy gun," eh? I don't think The Duke was into such things...
------------------------------------------------------
From: rcastor
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2004 2:20 PM
To: Morning Edition
Subject: Nick Carbo

Hi morning edition,

I am a daily listener of this program and I was very pleased to hear the
interview of Nick Carbo during your intersection series.
I am also a Filipino who emigrated to the United States in the 80's w/ my
family and had the same misinterpretation of a song similar to secret agent man,
but mine was the song billy jean by Michael Jackson - instead of that line billy
jean's not my lover I originally heard it as billy jean's at my door though,
not as funny as secret asian man.
Thank you for introducing me to a Filipino writer sharing his observations
of the American culture & how strongly it influences the world.

Salamat & thank you for starting my day,
Roland D. C.